|Riding Style||All Mountain|
|Riding Level||Intermediate - Expert|
|Fits Boot size (US)||8-10, 10-12|
|Manufactured in||USA by OZ|
|Camber Profile||Hybrid Camber|
|Approx. Weight||Feels Normal|
|On Snow Feel|
OZ Custom Woody 2018 - 2017 Review by The Good Ride
The OZ Custom Woody is one of the best all mountain boards you can get at the time I’m writing this. Basically, you can take the Oz Woody and can tweak it a bit to make it yours. The best part about it is it’s only $100 more than the standard Woody.
Ethics Statement: We don’t get paid by the manufacturer to write these reviews. We do make money from the “Where To Buy” links, but this is our best attempt at an honest and objective review from an average riders’ perspective.
Riders: James, Matt, Jack, and Jimbo
So most of what I said about the OZ Woody applies to this review so it’s hard to elaborate on it more from a how it rides standpoint. I will say the OZ Custom Woody is one of those boards that give you a great all mountain ride for a lot of reasons:
- There are many custom snowboard manufacturers out there but OZ starts out with one of the best camber profiles we have seen for an All Mountian board. This is arguably one of the most important aspects of a boards personality so building a board around this camber profile makes it a lot easier. The OZ Custom Woody starts with a healthy bit of camber past the bindings and then goes rather quickly to a healthy bit of rocker after. It gives is a great camber feel that’s stable without the catch and also it has a very easy float in powder. It has a consistent predictable feel underfoot in all conditions.
- It’s a true twin when it comes to flex and shape but it does have a pair of set back inserts per binding so it’s technically a directional twin. So it’s a twin for most groomer days and a set back surfy board on powder days. That’s what we define as All Mountain.
- OZ uses carbon fiber from tip to tail where most companies use fiberglass in most places and then strategically place carbon fiber strips in others. There is more pop on ollies and more spring out of your turns. The only drawback is you can’t stain the top and have the wood show underneath. We like that wood top sheet look but we’d rather have the Carbon Fiber in the ride.
- All OZ snowboards are made really well. I can’t find a single design flaw in the one I have and it seems like it will last for a really long time. They don’t cut any corners or skip any steps in the construction process.
- It’s got a lot of board for this price going on underfoot, it’s made in the US and you can give it your own personal touches as I did above.
From here it’s more about the custom process. You basically go here and it takes you through most of the options.
- First off you have your choice of camber profiles but Varix (aka hybrid camber) is what makes this a favorite so I suggest you stick with that over flat to rocker or hybrid rocker.
- You can pick your size and width from normal boot size to mid/wide
- You can pick the color scheme of the sidewalls
- You can choose one of the graphics from their line or send them your own. I can say that even with Tim doing the design (I suck at Photoshop) it was not an easy process but it’s soooooooooo worth it. I can’t stop staring at the board. It’s aesthetically pleasing to me but it also has one of my favorite mountains, Mammoth, on there too. Thanks, Tim!!!
- You can choose between a blunt and rounded nose/tail.
- You can choose between a textured or glossy top sheet but we suggest the more durable textured option. Yes, the graphics generally look better with the glossy top sheet but I choose the durability and better traction with the textured option.
There are a few things we would like to see OZ add or change:
- I’d love to see maybe 4-5 stance width options with the inserts instead of one preset option. What we mean by this is a reference stance that will allow you to center it at your stance width and then set it all the way back on board with your stance width as well. I’d say it would be great to start with reference stance options of 21″, 21.5″, 22″, 22.5″ and 23″ which are some of the more common stance widths. That way you can utilize the whole range of inserts from Centered to set all the way back and it would really up to the customization process.
- I’d love to see a custom base option and an all black or almost all black base option. It’s easiest to use black p-tex when repairing a board so that would really help. Especially since the Oz Custom Woody is going to last for a while.
- It would be cool to see more nose/tail shape options than just blunt and round. There are a lot of fun shapes out there so it would be fun to see one or 2 other options like maybe a symmetrical version of the ATS and maybe something semi-pointy too.
- I’d like to see the nose/tail not turn up as drastically and as high as it does now. Many boards these days have lowered their tip/tail a bit and have found that it planes a little better in powder.
- It might be interesting to have a few basic graphics options to choose from. So something that allows you to pick a few basic colors or really basic graphic designs for a more clean look. Then also it might be a good idea to choose a logo color and where you want it on the board.
Regardless of my need to see more custom options, this OZ Custom Woody is a real stand out and one of our top All Mountain board recommendations. It’s hard to go wrong with the Custom Woody.
OZ Custom Woody Specs
OZ Custom Woody Images
OZ Company Information
OZ Custom Woody User Reviews
This is such a great board. Very easy to get used to and will do anything you ask it to do. That dependability is supreme.
It held up good in California heavy pow.
Did even better in Utah pow.
Good speed and stability.
Awesome turns and carving hold. I had the edges optimized for bit more aggressive riding with 1 degree added to base and side edge. This improved the carving/edge hold even more.
I don't do jumps or park so can't comment there. Based on the pop I get from it, I am positive it'll do good.
Broke Before 1 Year - No Warranty
So SO Bummed about this - having this board was excellent. Offered a lot of what I needed. That is, until the back tail snapped off from being stuck in heavy powder. And now, I CANNOT get a hold of OZ. All emails are GONE, not answering phone calls, it almost feels like I've been scammed. BUYER BEWARE.